Adele in Brisbane: The facts
FRIDAY FEBRUARY 24, 2017
Live Nation Australia, as promoter of Adele’s Australian and New Zealand tour, looks forward to presenting two outstanding concerts at The Gabba in Brisbane on Saturday 4th and Sunday 5th March.
In staging these events in Brisbane, one of Australia’s largest and most prominent cities, we confidently expect all levels of government to work together to host these concerts and to maintain Brisbane’s reputation as a major events destination.
Live Nation Australia would like to clarify and correct some errors that have been noted in the media commentary that has appeared in recent days regarding the upcoming Adele concerts.
Here are the facts:
• Adele’s Australian tour has been under discussion for more than 12 months and the planning of the Brisbane concerts commenced more than six months ago.
• Suncorp Stadium was initially considered as a possible venue but, due to Adele’s unique “in-the-round” stage design, The Gabba was chosen as the most suitable venue to present the best possible concert experience for all patrons due to its oval playing field (by comparison with the rectangular stadium layout at Suncorp).
• The Gabba is licensed to hold 42,000 patrons for a sporting event and government approval was granted to increase the capacity for this special event to 60,000 per concert, due to the use of the playing field for additional concert seating.
• The first Adele concert was announced on Monday 15th November, 2016 and went on sale on Monday 21st November, 2016.
• Following the instant sell out a second performance was announced later on the same day.
• The Adele concerts will attract the highest attendance of any concert event that has been held in Brisbane and will set the attendance record at The Gabba.
• The shows are fully reserved other than for a very limited number of VIP Golden Circle General Admission (standing) tickets within the stage area - all other patrons on the oval will have reserved seating.
• In September last year all major stakeholders were advised and consulted about the plans for hosting these events at The Gabba (including Transport for Brisbane, Translink, Queensland Rail, Brisbane City Council traffic management, Minister for Sport and Stadiums Queensland). This is part of the normal approval process for any major event in Brisbane.
• In order to ensure that the required public transport could be provided, free public transport is included in the ticket.
• The cost of additional transport services is recouped from the venue by transport service providers, including Transport for Brisbane, by way of an integrated ticketing agreement.
• As with major events in any city around the world, planning recommendations were solicited from all the stakeholders – one such recommendation was that additional buses would be required for the Sunday show due to the changed bus schedules on that day.
• Accordingly more than 100 additional buses have been arranged for the Sunday show.
• A comprehensive traffic management plan has been put in place by The Gabba.
• These measures include road closures, two taxi ranks, Ride and Share pick-up/drop off zones, parking restrictions, integrated public transport, extra buses, etc.
• We note that The Gabba successfully hosted five capacity Big Bash events earlier this year – and that their traffic management plan worked well with these events.
• The Gabba will host The Ashes later this year with the potential for a sell-out crowd over several consecutive days.
• As with any stadium in the world when at full capacity, we do expect there to be some delays in ticket holders getting in and getting out of the venue – and patrons should plan their travel to and from the venue accordingly.
• Ticket holders should definitely plan to get to the venue early, if possible. Gates open at 5:30pm
• There is no support act and Adele’s performance is scheduled to commence at 7.30pm.
On our part we have endeavoured to assist in every way with the set-up and provision of financial support for these concerts.
We look forward to welcoming all ticket holders to two outstanding concerts.